Hokie camp is an experience carefully designed by students, for students, to acclimate incoming Hokies to all things Virginia Tech. For three days, you’ll engage in real talk about strengths and purpose, take part in fun activities like campfires and low ropes courses, and participate in a time of service—all while having a blast with other new Hokies.
What is it?
At Hokie Camp, you'll participate in activities designed to help you get to know other new Hokies, learn about resources on campus, learn about Hokie Spirit and traditions, and become part of the Hokie community. New Hokies are placed in small groups with seven to ten fellow students, led by an upper class leader. Five to six small groups combine to make a “color group.”
Since you become part of a small group led by current students, you have ample time to get to know your fellow Hokies well. You will explore who you are, talk about the college experience, and become part of Virginia Tech’s unparalleled spirit and tradition.
Hokie Camp is a sure way to help ease the transition to college life. You’ll make good friends even before you arrive on campus and leave Hokie Camp with a re-energized sense of what it means to be part of the Hokie family.
Where is it?
If you’re hung up on the word “camp,” don’t be fooled. Hokie Camp offers two different options: A Smith Mountain Lake Edition and a Blacksburg On-Campus Edition.
Hokie Camp Smith Mountain Lake Edition takes place at the Smith Mountain Lake 4-H Center. The Center is a beautiful 120-acre lakefront property where you’ll stay in air-conditioned, furnished rooms and eat delicious food. Just show up on campus before your session to check-in and we’ll take care of the rest.
Hokie Camp Blacksburg On-Campus Edition offers a special experience where you get to stay in actual residence halls, eat award winning on-campus dining food, become heavily acquainted with the ins and outs of our breathtaking campus, and walk the same grounds you’ll return to in August for move in.
So, whether you’re anxious or thrilled about starting college this fall, take the leap and sign up for Hokie Camp today while spots are still available!
When is it?
- Session 1: July 7-9, Smith Mountain Lake Edition check-in and departure is at Lane Stadium between 3 and 3:30 p.m. Return to Lane Stadium in Blacksburg at the conclusion of Hokie Camp at 3 p.m. This session is reserved for Summer Academy students only.
- Session 2: July 21-23 Blacksburg On-Campus Edition check-in is at Squires Student Center between 3 and 3:30 p.m. Check-out is at Squires Student Center at 3 p.m. This session is unique in that students can attend an Orientation session in the days right before or after this Hokie Camp session, saving you another trip to Blacksburg. Day two of Orientation ends by noon, so students can attend Orientation July 20-21 and be finished with plenty of time to check-in to Hokie Camp. This on-campus experience establishes an especially strong sense of connection to Virginia Tech and its’ history.
- Session 3: August 14-16 Smith Mountain Lake Edition check-in is at Lane Stadium is between 10 and 10:30 a.m. Return to Lane Stadium in Blacksburg at the conclusion of Hokie Camp at 12 p.m.
- Session 4: August 18-20 Smith Mountain Lake Edition check-in is at Lane Stadium is between 10 and 10:30 a.m. Return to Lane Stadium in Blacksburg at the conclusion of Hokie Camp at 12 p.m.
- Session 5: August 22-24 Smith Mountain Lake Edition This session is unique in that it allows students to move their things into their residence hall before Camp departure. Check-in is at Lane Stadium at 7 a.m. At that time, students will be able to move items into their room. Students must be back at Lane Stadium at 10:30 a.m. for departure to Hokie Camp. Return to Lane Stadium in Blacksburg at the conclusion of Hokie Camp at 12 p.m.
How much is it?
The all-inclusive Hokie Camp fee is $240. This cost covers all lodging, meals, programs, Hokie Camp T-shirt, and water bottle. After registering, the fee will simply be included in your Virginia Tech account. Scholarships are available. For information about scholarships, please email email@example.com.
- Kick-off program
- Official Hokie Camp welcome
- Small group conversations and team building
- Time in color groups
- Virginia Tech traditions
- Hokie Camp campfire
- Hokie Wellness and mindfulness activities
- Hokie spirit tour
- Service project
- Cookout dinner
- Identity, diversity, and inclusion small group time
- Hang out, movie, games, and relax time
- Hokie Camp campfire